Tip #7 - Improve your SEM campaign’s ROI in 7 easy steps
Strictly speaking today’s top tip really spoils you, it doesn’t just provide one great piece of advice to boost your business but instead gives you seven!
If you’re keen to promote your business online, then chances are you’re interested in some form(s) of SEM (Search Engine Marketing).
There are a host of activities - pay-per-click (PPC) sponsored links on the right, Optimising for the organic results on the left (SEO), directory listings, blogs & banner exchange. These are just a few which fall under the SEM umbrella.
Additionally you have both paid and non-paid options available, which might result in higher traffic volumes to your site.
All of the above can help improve what’s known as ROI (Return on Investment). This is what your Accountant keeps droning on about. It will tell you how efficient SEM is versus other media.
Here are our top 7 ways of boosting ROI through SEM:
- Set yourself some realistic goals before you start and make them attainable. Is your goal a quote request, a newsletter sign-up or a shopping cart purchase?
- Measure your goals! Web analytics (e.g. Google Analytics) and conversion tracking (e.g. Yahoo! & Google Adwords) are your friends and build a unique confirmation page for each transaction type you wish to track.
- Compare the ROI you’ve achieved from your other media with your expectation from SEM. Is it realistic?
- Hedge your bets and spread your eggs etc. SEM is a broad church and better conversion rates are normally achieved by a mix of both SEO and PPC.
- Plan your SEM around buying cycles. Online search volumes are often consistent with enquiry levels in other media.
- Average Sale Value: every dollar you spend is precious: try bundling to avoid low-value unit sales.
Your site-map should reflect: easy navigation for first time visitors and a sound keyword strategy. Professional help choosing your keyword strategy is invaluable.
Looking for some help with domains, hosting, web design or digital marketing?
Reach out to us for a free consultation with an expert.